Monday, March 22, 2010

Introduction

On March 27, 2010 I'm leaving Springer Mountain, Georgia to attempt a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. This is not an extraordinary attempt. In fact, 3,000 people start hiking the trail each year with the attempt to thru-hike. Out of these, only 200-300 hike the whole trail. I have a few things on my side- youth, health, experience, and overall support from friends and family. Nevertheless, this will be the hardest thing that I have ever done and perhaps the hardest that I will ever do.

Yes, I’m leaving alone.  A good friend is taking me to Georgia and walking the first few miles with me, but then I will be walking solo. Over the next few months I will undoubtedly meet some awesome people on the trail, and that is one aspect of the trail that I am looking forward to the most. I am also eager to reconnect with a few old friends while I’m hiking.  But, at the end of the day this is my adventure, and my legs and determination will be taking me to Maine.

Despite that this is a somewhat personal journey, I would like to share the insight and funny stories from this experience.  Also, I know that people will be worried about me and I will rarely have a chance to send personal emails.  So this blog will be a chronicle of my journey and a way for you to keep track of me.  I have intentions of updating every week or two, but don’t worry if posts are more infrequent. Internet is scarce on the trail. I promise to fill in the holes in the story after Katahdin. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment